Director of Pain Medicine Fellowship, Director of Musculoskeletal Pain Medicine, Assistant Professor Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, UC Davis
Dr. Charles J De Mesa, DO, is a Pain Management specialist in Sacramento, California. He attended and graduated from medical school in 2010, having over 7 years of diverse experience, especially in Pain Management. He is affiliated with many hospitals including University Of California Davis Medical Center. Dr. Charles J De Mesa also cooperates with other doctors and physicians in medical groups including Regents Of The Univ Of Ca.
Philosophy of Care
Holistic approach to treating patients with an emphasis on wellness recognizing the musculoskeletal system as a key element of health.
Dr. De Mesa’s clinical interests include: Traditional intervention spine techniques, Ultrasound-guided pain interventions, Musculoskeletal Pain Medicine, and Manual Therapy.
Dr. De Mesa’s research interests include: Dynamic neuromusculoskeletal ultrasound and compressive neuropathies such as neurogenic throacic plexus pathology.
- De Mesa C, Chu I, Furukawa K, Sheth S. Use of Continuous Femoral and Sciatic Nerve Catheters to Facilitate a Multidisciplinary Inpatient-Based Rehabilitation Plan in a Child with Lower Extremity Type 1 Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2015 Nov;94(11):e114-5.
- De Mesa C, Crump ME, Anti-AMPA Receptor Limbic Encephalitis presenting with Ovarian Teratoma, Encephalopathy and Autonomic Instability-A Case Report. PM&R Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation. 2013 Sept Vol 5, Issue 9, Pages S273-274.
- De Mesa C, Amley, X, Lam, P, Seales, M, Kerstein, J. Mediastinitis following a routine dental procedure in a patient with history of cardiac surgery. N A J Med Sci. 2011;4(4):245-248.
- Boychuk RB, De Mesa CJ, Kiyabu KM, Yamamoto F, Yamamoto LG, Sanderson R, Gartner B, Donovan R, Beckham S, Pang C, Fanucchi R, Chong V. Change in approach and delivery of medical care in children with asthma: results from a multicenter emergency department educational asthma management program.Pediatrics. 2006 Apr; 117(4Pt 2):S145-51.
- De Mesa CJ, Pang CK, Kiyabu KM, Yamamoto FY, Sanderson RR, Gartner BM, Beckham S, Asuncion DA, Nekoba AC, Kitayama J, Teruya BY, Boychuk RB. Demographics and characteristics of wheezing/asthmatic children with repeat emergency department visits in O’ahu, Hawai’i. Hawaii Med J. 2006 Feb;65(2):40-5.
- Humphries M, Salhan N, De Mesa C. Ultrasound-guided pectoralis minor muscle block to aid diagnosis of neurovascular pectoralis minor syndrome. Society for Vascular Surgery. 2016.
- Humphries M, De Mesa C, Sheth S. Salhan N, Freischlag J. Ultrasound-guided Anesthetic or Botulinum Toxin Injection of the Anterior and Middle Scalene muscles to assist with diagnosis and treatment of neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Society for Vascular Surgery. 2016.
Honors and Awards
- UC Davis Division of Pain Medicine Gary Collins, M.D. Memorial Fellow Teacher of the Year Award, 2015
- Oliver R. Smith, M.D. Award for Outstanding Resident, 2014
- Carlos Vallbona, M.D. Professionalism Award, 2014
- Baylor College of Medicine / University of Texas PMR Alliance Resident Teacher of the Year Award, 2014
- Drs Isabelle and Josephine Morelock Osteopathic Scholarship Award ATSU-KCOM, 2008
- Excellence Award, ATSU-KCOM Area Health Education Preventive Medicine and Community Service, 2007